My Dot UK RoR Story (Repost)

A repost from a few years ago on a now inactive site, but still worth a read.

As some of you may know the Nominet .uk right of registration period is now done and dusted, (now along time ago) when it was announced there was concerns over smaller registrars being able to take part in the release due to a lack of freely available software, there was a couple of paid releases (which by all accounts were great) however for the one man band looking to register a few domains here or there, there just wasn’t an option available.

This is where I decided I would write my first ever free to use, open source software. Having worked in development for the best part of 20 years the chance to write and release code seemed like a great idea, having written the code, released it, bug fixed and provided support for setup I’ve a new-found respect for the creators of open sourced software.

The task didn’t seem that complicated at first but as development started I quickly realised I was going to need to get my maths hat on for calculating the exact time to start sending the create requests to the EPP. Although on the face of it, it didn’t seem that complicated the further I dived into the code and tested the software it became clear there was a plethora of potential issues that could and did arise.

My expectation would be I’d spend an afternoon writing the script, release it and be done with it. My naivety thinking everyone that was using it would be as technically minded and competent with servers, running code and investigating errors meant that the support and bug fixing I had to provide far surpassed my expectations.

During development I worked with a few registrars setting the script up, bug testing and then fixing them bugs. The support I received during this time is what got the script to a point that it was usable, and from feedback quite successful with a couple of people using the script showing up in a top 50 list of tags catching the “top names”.

For me it was one of the most interesting things I’ve worked on, not just because it’s in the industry I know about, but the positive feedback, openness and support in development was impressive in an industry that is usually very cloak and dagger.It’s not only opened lines of communications with other individuals and registrars but also expanded my knowledge of the requirements of different people within the industry.

I’d like to thank the people that donated during and after the development and release and I hope everyone that used the software was able to register some of the domain names they were after. My best name was probably Cheese.uk which I have already moved on to a new owner via auction.

The now useless software can still be found here:
https://github.com/AaronClifford/nominet-ror-epp-software

The dot UK RoR is now years and years ago, but why not let me know some of your favourites you picked up, if you can still remember?

I got a few but I can't for the life of me remember what they were, so they were clearly nothing special.
The only one I really wanted and managed to get was Wayne.uk but soon sold it on.

This is where it all began for me, trying to buy olivia.uk and sophie.uk. Disgusted (at the time, grateful now) at the price @Murray and Owen (Servitor) charged me (thinking domains only cost £10), I decided to buy a few to try to sell on and make my money back. Now that was a serious rabbit hole to fall down, and I still haven't found my way out.

Last edited:
I think my best one was CustomGifts.uk. I did get a few more but that is the one i was after the most.

I think Nominet knobbled me for the .uk drop. I can't 100% remember what happened, but I didn't realise you needed £400 worth of free credit on your account, or similar. My bill was paid on the 10th or something, and the deadline for free funds must have been on the 9th.

It was something stupid like that, so I had to sit it out 🥲 I think it caught @paullas and a few others out too.

Hampers.uk I got hold of somehow... I was trying everything. Oxford.uk too. Might have bought that one. Catching isn't my thing but I definitely enjoyed the buzz when lots of fantastic names started dropping.

I think Nominet knobbled me for the .uk drop. I can't 100% remember what happened, but I didn't realise you needed £400 worth of free credit on your account, or similar. My bill was paid on the 10th or something, and the deadline for free funds must have been on the 9th.

It was something stupid like that, so I had to sit it out 🥲 I think it caught @paullas and a few others out too.
Jesus you have a good memory lol i caught all mine using 3rd parties i think.

This is where it all began for me, trying to buy olivia.uk and sophie.uk. Disgusted (at the time, grateful now) at the price @Murray and Owen (Servitor) at the time charged me (thinking domains only cost £10), I decided to buy a few to try to sell on and make my money back. Now that was a serious rabbit hole to fall down, I still haven't found my way out.

I was disgusted too after I got a better offer soon after :p

But glad it went to you as it was meaningful.

Reactions: DJ
Margate.uk, my hometown.

It remains on the development list, so this thread was a little sobering, just a decade later.
My dad lived in Birchington so when I would visit him as a kid we would go to Margate a lot

Isn't it trendy with artists now? I know Graffiti Prints moved there

My dad lived in Birchington so when I would visit him as a kid we would go to Margate a lot

Isn't it trendy with artists now?
Was Dreamland open back then?

Yes, as Aaron mentioned, lots of Londoners have moved down, a lot of second homes and getting out of the city during and post-pandemic. The opening of the Turner Contemporary and redevelopment of Dreamland definitely started things off.

could get Laura on it in her spare time.
Don't you keep her busy helping out with your Pokémon empire? :D

Back