Moving bigish forum from vBulletin to Xenforo

Pen and paper, it's all my wife uses. And at least once a week we are searching the house high and low for an 'important' list of some description, if only somebody had invented a list app for a smartphone :rolleyes:.
I really should start a podcast with some top tips, but one high up is if you condense the lists to post-it notes and then *lose* the notes... you have cleared your todo ! :cool:

Even better is when you leave them in your pocket and they go through the wash. Did they even exist in the first place?! :D

I really should start a podcast with some top tips, but one high up is if you condense the lists to post-it notes and then *lose* the notes... you have cleared your todo ! :cool:

Even better is when you leave them in your pocket and they go through the wash. Did they even exist in the first place?! :D

I don't bother with the extra expense of post-it notes, just use scraps of paper. That way, when you 'stick' them to the wall above the bin, they self file.

I don't bother with the extra expense of post-it notes, just use scraps of paper. That way, when you 'stick' them to the wall above the bin, they self file.

Sound like my wife, then we get to the shops or whatever and "I've forgotten the list". I got us using an app for the family with shared calendars, to do lists, to watch lists etc. Lasted about a week.

Sound like my wife, then we get to the shops or whatever and "I've forgotten the list". I got us using an app for the family with shared calendars, to do lists, to watch lists etc. Lasted about a week.

Did you try writing a note on a piece of paper, reminding her to use the app? :p

How have the users taken to the switch?
Quite positive so far... still odd DNS issue lurking so not all over but end of week things should settle down then can unleash the media gallery and other bits

Any pointers on good external email stuff to use with Xen?

There is also a wodge of users that did not complete the confirmation process on the old install, so looking to do a mini bulk email to them to get them on the new site, or let them opt out / bin off.

This has gone much better than I was expecting with relatively little kick off.

I do have around 2000 people who did not complete registration on the old forum, so slowly looking to segment them and nudge to either remove details or complete on the new one now.

Sendgrid is a no go, so looking to use own mailserver for it.

I wouldn't use your own mailserver, it's borderline impossible especially with all the transactional stuff not to end up on spam lists, depending on what you're willing to spend Amazon SES might be a good option, or mailgun or something of the like. They have done and do all the leg work and alerts to maintain a working mailserver, personally i think the days of running your own mailserver are on their way out.

I wouldn't use your own mailserver, it's borderline impossible especially with all the transactional stuff not to end up on spam lists, depending on what you're willing to spend Amazon SES might be a good option, or mailgun or something of the like. They have done and do all the leg work and alerts to maintain a working mailserver, personally i think the days of running your own mailserver are on their way out.
I use Mailgun for work and personal projects.

Primarily (almost exclusively) transactional emails, and have had next to no issues with them.

The biggest challenge was the obvious one, a huge legacy install and then the move for everyone to the modern Xen setup.

The Xen importers are fantastic, one or two plugins less so.

Xen is miles more lightweight than VB and will work off more normal / cheaper hosting than VB needed.

Having people ( @Aaron @Greg @mark etc!) happy to help out was very handy, as something that might take me 15mins fiddling about on can be sorted in seconds by people who have done it before as is always the way.

Likewise can fully recommend Russ from https://pixelexit.com , he sorted the theme spec into a reality spot on, with great idiotproof guides for install and then some good tips onwards.

The other key takeaway is that the community is the core, and being part of it you get a feel for what will work.

One more tech savvy, and Xen user, said, "I was sceptical about you keeping it looking the same but for the user base I think you've done a great job. You've managed to keep it familiar to those who may be less tech savvy and improved on all the other areas for everyone else!" which is both really kind, but spot on really. The design origins were from about 25 years ago so to keep them part of the refresh was appreciated and has helped people bed in.

One negative so far has been the excess of Google auto ads as Xen seems to have more modern placements, so they look more intrusive. The policy is those registered see no ads, so in a way it might encourage the lurkers to register / login!

All in all I can thoroughly recommend ploughing through your 2017 todo lists and crack on with stuff that is overdue ;)

One more tech savvy, and Xen user, said, "I was sceptical about you keeping it looking the same but for the user base I think you've done a great job. You've managed to keep it familiar to those who may be less tech savvy and improved on all the other areas for everyone else!" which is both really kind, but spot on really. The design origins were from about 25 years ago so to keep them part of the refresh was appreciated and has helped people bed in.
That's great feedback, especially as you have so many contributors with five fig post counts, theit familiarity with the look and feel must be second nature.

These comments really make me to want to look at the forum now, scanned the posts (very quickly) so sorry if it has been mentioned?

That's great feedback, especially as you have so many contributors with five fig post counts, theit familiarity with the look and feel must be second nature.

The self imposed implosion of the other place, and creation of UKDNF, was also in the back of my mind... on a case study of What Not To Do :D but also how getting things badly wrong and misjudging stuff can annoy - and genuinely legitimately upset - a lot of people very quickly.

These comments really make me to want to look at the forum now, scanned the posts (very quickly) so sorry if it has been mentioned?
Ah - good point! Google Red Passion :cool: It used to be on a hyphened .com then in 2008-9 ish moved it to the .co.uk , and did pop an offer in for the non hyphen .com this time but they wanted 5 figs.

Looks great, and the statistics speak for themselves. Did you notice a rapid growth in membership after the circus came to town and all the publicity that came with it?

A constant small stream, all really nice positive mainly USA based people wanting to delve into the culture of football / history of the club / ... and get some tickets.

It has been a bit of a circus at times, but generally really positive and in a sport where dodgy owners are standard, they are refreshing. As a club we had a couple of decades of utter horror - including from a forum admin point of view lots of legal issues and threats due to it. It is just nice to be able to talk about players, results and footy stuff rather than Section 107 agreements and court stuff.

(I also follow Everton, so that fulfils those needs nowadays! :censored:)

Reactions: DJ
(I also follow Everton, so that fulfils those needs nowadays! :censored:)
Out of the frying pan, into the fire with that one! Although perhaps better news on the horizon now 777 seems to be off the table.

One Xen thing I have not cracked is how the ad slots work - in VB there was a flag in the DB that 1/0'ed from live to off. That is there in Xen (xf_advertising) which updates the toggle in admin but does not change the live status.

Editing the DB via external badly coded scripts is likely a bad idea, so if can't easily locate it, will look at how to make addons via the internal Xencode or whatever it is called!

One Xen thing I have not cracked is how the ad slots work - in VB there was a flag in the DB that 1/0'ed from live to off. That is there in Xen (xf_advertising) which updates the toggle in admin but does not change the live status.

Editing the DB via external badly coded scripts is likely a bad idea, so if can't easily locate it, will look at how to make addons via the internal Xencode or whatever it is called!
Drop me a message about what you want sure we can work something out.

Reactions: rob
Back